Looking for a quick and easy recipe to feed your family? Look no further.
This tiny superfood packs a big punch! This gluten free staple is loaded with nutrients, contains all 9 essential amino acids, and is an excellent source of protein and fiber.
WARM QUINOA SALAD WITH GRILLED CHICKEN
- 6 ounces red or black quinoa (1 cup)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, cut into quarters
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons small mint leaves
- Olive oil for drizzle over final product
- Put the quinoa in a small saucepan and cover with 2 cups of water.
- Add a large pinch of salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over low heat until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to side dish.
- Heat the 3 tablespoons of grapeseed oil in the skillet. Add the garlic and onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, and onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and cumin to the skillet with onions and garlic, cover and cook over low heat until the carrots are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the quinoa and vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill. Drizzle the chicken with grapeseed oil and thread onto 4 skewers. Season with salt and pepper and grill over moderately high heat, turning, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes total.
- Mound the quinoa salad on plates, approximately one cup per serving. Garnish with the toasted pine nuts and mint leaves and serve the chicken skewers alongside.
* If you do not have a grill, chicken may be made stovetop or in oven.