On Sunday, I found my inner domestic goddess. I cleaned the house and cooked up a storm in the kitchen .... while cheering on the Cincinnati Bengals! I finally decided to put our wedding gifts to good use. I made pulled pork with my homemade dry rub and barbecue sauce. I let the pork cook in our crockpot for hours, allowing the aroma to fill our house. Yum! To compliment the pork I made Brussels sprouts with turkey bacon, fresh sage, scallions, and lemon zest. Most people, my husband included, are not huge fans of Brussels sprouts, but even he went back for seconds! These Brussels sprouts are a must, even for picky eaters. For dessert, I made my favorite gluten free, dairy free, flourless peanut butter blossoms, yummy!!
Check out the recipes, and leave your comments below!
- 3 lb Boneless Pork Shoulder
Dry Spice Rub:
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- Pinch of Pepper
- Pinch of Paprika
- Pinch of All Spice
- Pinch of Celery Salt
* I ended up doubling this recipe so I would have enough to cover all my pork
- 1 tsp All Spice
- 1/2 cup of Organic Yellow Mustard
- 1 TBSP Frank’s Red Hot
- 6 TBSP Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar
- 6 TBSP Organic Ketchup
- 4 TBSP Organic Sugar (I used Organic Coconut Palm Sugar)
* Taste Barbecue sauce prior to coating meat, and adjust according to your taste!
- Coat pork shoulder in your homemade spice rub, place in crock pot with 1/2 cup of water, for 4 hours on high.
- Take pork out, skim fat off the leftover water in the crock pot. Pull pork apart with fingers or fork.
- Add your barbecue sauce to the water in crock pot, stir until it begins to thicken.
- Add meat back into crock pot, cover with sauce. Place lid on crock pot and cook for additional 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Lemon Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Sage
- 2 lbs Brussels Sprouts, Trimmed and Halved
- 4 Slices of Thick Turkey Bacon
- 2 Shallots, Halved and Thinly Sliced
- 2 tsp Chopped Fresh Sage Leaves
- 1 tsp Fresh Grated Organic Lemon Zest
- Bring 4 quarts of lightly salted water to boil; add Brussels sprouts. Cook for 3 minutes. Drain in colander, and run cold water over sprouts to stop cooking.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook turkey bacon until crisp (approximately 7 minutes). Pat bacon dry with paper towels after cooking. Chop bacon into bite size pieces. Drain bacon grease from pan.
- Add grape seed oil to pan with shallots. Sauté on medium heat for 3 minutes, or until shallots become translucent. Add Brussels sprouts; cook for additional 3 minutes.
- Add sage, lemon zest, and bacon; stir to mix all ingredients together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Peanut Butter Blossoms Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Flourless Cookies!
- 2 cups of Creamy Organic Peanut Butter
- 2 cups of Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 Cage Free Organic Eggs
- 1 bag of Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Kisses
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix batter together, place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Take cookies out and add dark chocolate Hershey’s kiss to each cookie.
- Place back in the oven for an additional minute.
- Take out and place on cooling rack. Enjoy!
I have vowed to try a new crock pot recipe and a new dessert every Sunday until the New Year! Check in weekly to see what I’ve been up to.