- 2 heavy handfuls (2-3 cups) of organic raw kale leaves
- 1 tsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 organic lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp. of sea salt
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- De-stem the kale leaves from the stem by simply placing your index finger and middle finger (in the shape of a claw), and “claw” down the center of the leaf to de-stem while simultaneously pulling the leaf away from you with your other hand.
- In a large bowl, combine the de-stemmed kale leaves with the olive oil, lemon and sea salt.
- Lightly pour an additional 1 tsp. of olive oil onto your hands to coat.
- Using a massaging action (similar to kneading bread dough), start to tear the leaves apart and massage.
- Continue massaging for about 2-5 minutes or until the leaves are softened, the leaves will also turn a more vibrant green.
- Add parmesan cheese if you desire.
- Use this as a salad base or add toppings of your choice for a complete meal in a bowl.